When you come across the word arthritis, your thoughts go to the next door, an elderly neighbor who always talks about his knee pain, or your mother, who recently started complaining about aches in her joints. Well, these are nothing but the most common examples of arthritis or, in medical jargon, osteoarthritis. Due to several factors, arthritis is becoming one of the most common chronic illnesses globally, with around 54 million patients. Though osteoarthritis is considered the most common type due to degenerating joints and age, there are several other types. Most of the time, arthritis symptoms are treated with pain-relieving ointments like Voltaren gel extra strength. Before we go into the details of treatment, it is essential to know the types and symptoms of arthritis.
Types of Arthritis
According to doctors and researchers, there are over 100 forms of this disease or related symptoms. Here we are going to discuss the most common ones:
- Osteoarthritis: When we move, muscles release and contract to apply tension to joints. Within joints, there is a protective cartilaginous layer that ensures fluid movements of joints. When an individual is suffering from osteoarthritis, this layer begins to break down, leading to direct rubbing of bones against each other. This causes swelling, pain, and stiffness. Osteoarthritis is a condition that worsens over time.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. In this condition, the body’s natural immune system becomes hyperactive and starts attacking joints linings. This further leads to inflammation that causes the thickening of tissues that line the joints. If not treated timely, this can also damage the cartilage and bone.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: Psoriatic arthritis is another autoimmune disease. In this condition, the human immune system starts attacking the healthy tissues of the body. Psoriatic arthritis also affects patients with psoriasis, a skin disorder that causes red, dry skin patches often accompanied by silvery scales. Usually, patients develop psoriasis initially and are then diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. This disease usually targets body parts such as knees, ankles, toes, fingers, and lower back.
To reduce joints pain and inflammation, patients can use Voltaren gel as per physicians’ recommendation.
Causes of Arthritis
There are several factors associated with arthritis. Let’s explore some of the leading causes behind this painful joint condition.
- Inflammation: Inflammation is one of the most common causes of arthritis pain. This is due to the response toward ongoing tissue damage. The body releases inflammatory chemicals that alert nerves, which carry pain signals to the brain. This leads to pain in the affected areas. Unhealthy body weight, genetics, smoking, and joint injury can put one at greater risk.
- Deterioration of Cartilage: Osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease, involves knees, hips, lower back, smaller joints of hands, and neck. When any of these joints are overworked for longer durations, the individual can develop osteoarthritis. Apart from this, extra stress and muscle strain due to overweight can also lead to this condition. When the cartilage wears away due to overuse, bones come in direct contact with each other and grind against each other, causing pain and inflammation.
- Immune System Attack: If an individual has rheumatoid arthritis, the body’s immune system becomes its enemy. The immune system starts releasing enzymes that attack healthy tissue and cells. This causes painful inflammation of the tissues and joint linings. This autoimmune disease majorly attacks body parts such as hips, finger joints, knees, wrists, and toes. Smoking, age, family history, obesity, and gender are some of the critical risk factors. Women are more vulnerable to this disease. There isn’t any cure for rheumatoid arthritis; however, treatments like using pain-relieving topical ointment such as Voltaren Emulgel can work wonders.
Arthritis: Not Only Physical but Emotional Stress
While one experiences the pain signals due to arthritis, the trauma isn’t only the physical one. Instead, it is an emotionally draining experience, and its impact on emotional well-being can’t be negated. The pain and inflammation caused due to arthritis can be severe enough to make one bedridden with no social life. This confinement to one room or becoming dependent on another person for the smallest task can affect mental well-being and lower life quality. With unbearable pain and such emotions, life can become a burden. Along with it, the uncertainty regarding the pain, depression can easily kick in.
But the world is not ending for arthritis patients. Though it can’t be treated completely, some certain medications and ointments can relieve patients from inflammation and pain. With topical ointments such as Voltaren gel 2.32, life can become easy for arthritis patients. All you need to do is identify the specific symptoms and impacted body parts.